Your Class Rep (Class Representative) is the spokesperson for your class within the Institute. The Class Rep is the first point of contact for all Institute authorities with your class. The Class Reps are collectively responsible for deciding the policy of the Student Union. The Class Reps also hold the elected full-time and part-time officers to account. The SRC shall determine policy of the Union at a number of monthly meetings which take place as outlined below. A vote may be carried at an SRC meeting by a simple majority. If you would like to see an issue or policy raised at the SRC please contact your Class Rep so they can add it to the SRC Agenda.
The dates for this years Class Rep meetings are;
- 12th October 2016 (SRC Training Only),
- 8th November 2016,
- 2nd December 2016,
- 7th February 2017,
- 7th March 2017,
- 4th April 2017,
- 2nd May 2017,
These dates are subject to change.
What you stand to gain by becoming a Class Rep:
- Leadership Skills
– Your classmates may look to you for leadership on issues that face your class such as, issues with timetables etc.
- Negotiations Skills
– You may be required to negotiate with your department head or a lecturer on matters such as re-arranging a class or extending an assignment deadline etc.
- Advocacy Skills
– This means that you will learn to speak on behalf of your classmates at a number of different levels, i.e. class rep meetings, course boards, etc.
- Organization Skills
– As class rep you will be responsible for the organization of class parties, trips away, and that kind of thing. Class outings such as these are crucial to developing a group spirit among your class and ensuring that nobody is left out.
Class Rep recruitment
Ideally every class in the college should have two Class Reps for classes up to 50 and one extra Rep for every additional 50 in the class. Recruitment will be held after Freshers week where Class Reps have to become officially registered with the Student Union. Remember the most popular person in the class is not always the best person to be Class Rep. It is the person that will be in college every day and have the hard work in them to fight for your problems and organize your parties.
If you HAVE NOT registered as a Class Rep with the Students’ Union you need to do so ASAP!