Students and the College Disciplinary Procedure
The Student Charter applies to all registered students and to full-time officers of the Student Union. This includes students participating in work placement as part of their course, and students participating in activities associated with the Institute.
The Student Charter sets out:
- The Rights of Students
- Institute’s Code of Conduct
- Disciplinary Procedure
It is vital that students realise that when they sign the Institutes Registration form they:
- Affirm that they have read and agree to be bound by all Institute Regulations;
- Submit to the Institute’s Disciplinary Procedure should a complaint be made against them;
- Allow Gardai to inform the Institute, should the student come to their attention.
There are 26 points on the code of conduct that students are advised to make themselves informed of, these are available on the college web (www.itsligo.ie)
Who can make a complaint?
A complaint regarding a student may be made by a member of staff, another student, the Gardai or any member of the public and may be in relation to behaviour both on and off campus.
The designated person to receive and process such complaints shall be the Student Services Officer. If the al¬leged offense is deemed to be minor it may be referred on to the Head of Department.
If the Student Services officer or the Head of Department feel the alleged offense is of sufficient severity they shall refer it to the Disciplinary committee.
The DC may impose one or more of the following penalties:
- Expulsion from the Institute for a period not exceeding 2 years.
- Suspension from the Institute for a stated period of time.
- A fine not exceeding €1,000.00
- Payment of compensation in relation to any loss or damage resulting from their behaviour.
- Removal of computer or library privileges at the Institute for a stated period
Right of Appeal
The student may appeal a decision of the DC within 10 days of the decision being notified to them. The appeal must be in writing and must be lodged with the President of the IT.
All decisions of the President in these matters this will be final and binding.
NOTE: This is a summary of the Student Charter and some of its contents; Students have the right and are advised to read the entire Student Charter available on the College web (www.itsligo.ie)